[lbo-talk] Patti Smith

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 10:24:51 PST 2008

Chris Doss wrote:

"I heard her interviewed on Russian radio about a month ago. Any Western performer who grew up during the Cold War and plays in Russia eventually says something like 'I can't believe the people on the street look so happy!' It's funny. That said, Kimberly is the best song ever."

Chris & others,

You might've seen this:

==================

Patti Smith given French honour

US punk rock star Patti Smith has received one of France's top cultural honours in recognition of her influence on rock music.

Smith, 58, was presented with the Commander of the Order of the Arts and Letters by Culture Minister Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres.

Her appreciation of 19th Century French poet Arthur Rimbaud was also noted in the citation.

Smith said she accepted the award "from the most spiritual side of me".

She was given the award at an Aids benefit concert in Paris on Sunday.

"I have vowed to live up to this honour in my work and my conduct," she said.

"I can't explain what I feel like. It has uplifted me, and I will work very hard to earn it."

Seminal album

The French ministry of culture called her "one of the most influential artists in women's rock 'n' roll".

Smith said she is planning a new album of covers from artists including Bob Dylan, the Grateful Dead and Edith Piaf.

The singer was one of the most acclaimed performers on the New York rock scene, and was friends with artist Andy Warhol, beat poet Allen Ginsberg and author William Burroughs.

Smith's debut 1975 album, Horses, was seen as a seminal release and is still regarded by many as one of the most influential rock albums.

Her 1978 Easter album included her biggest commercial hit, Because the Night, which she co-wrote with Bruce Springsteen.

Story from BBC NEWS: http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/4670901.stm