[lbo-talk] A scary Halloween with Sarah Palin

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 05:17:59 PST 2008

On 04/11/2008, dredmond at efn.org <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:
> On Sun, November 2, 2008 2:34 pm, Wendy Lyon wrote:
>
> > Have you *seen* the high-rises that ring Moscow?
>
> I visited some of those hi-rises, back during the Yeltsin years. Quite
> comfortable, mostly, with lots of green space and mass transit.

Well, they must have gone downhill since the Yeltsin years. The one I stayed in a few years ago (which wasn't Chris's; his was indeed much nicer) was just awful: tiny, cramped rooms, elevators that barely worked and reeked of piss, definitely not a lot of green space. Mass transit, I'll give you.

We actually have a lot of similar buildings here in Dublin. They are universally agreed to be an experiment that failed and many have been demolished while others are scheduled to be demolished. From what I've seen of the ones in Britain they aren't very nice either.