[lbo-talk] competence, not ideology ... again

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 06:31:55 PST 2008

Carrol Cox wrote:
> SA wrote:
>
>> Meanwhile,
>> capitalism is flailing so egregiously
>>

> How so? The world is a nasty place -- as everyone has known for many
> millenia. Slumps happen. They've happened before. There is no mass
> movement, and only in the presence of a mass movement does it make any
> sense at all to speak of the "failure" of capitalism as capitalism. A
> bit of fancy buzz about Marx here and there hardly adds up to a mass
> movement.
>
> Even in the worst of The Great Depression only a minority in the
> capitalist core thought of capitalism as failing; and part of that
> minority went right (Hitler, etc) rather than left, and most of those
> that went left gave their power away to politicians rather than massed
> in the streets, and those politicians gave them a weak-breweed Social
> Democracy which has been coming apart since 1974.
>
> Where's the evidence for _any_ threat whatever at the present time to
> capitalism as a system?

Yes, that's exactly right. When I say "capitalism" is flailing egregiously, I mean that, simultaneously, (a) the economy is flailing egregiously and (b) a lot of people seem to be *perceiving* this to be evidence that capitalism as a system doesn't "work" well. I happen to think that in some ways this reflects a lot of muddled thinking, but it's a fact that a lot of people are thinking along those lines. This is important to the extent that people's perceptions of the world affect what they end up doing (like, for example, starting a mass movement). I'm not sure you agree with that premise, but that's what I mean.

SA