[lbo-talk] Doug's Vote

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Nov 4 14:34:41 PST 2008

>I also have to say standing in a long line in Clinton Hill really brought
>home to me what the possibility of having a black pres means to black
>Americans. I know many of them will be disappointed - and I also suspect
>many of them know pretty well what's likely to happen. (And it will freak
>the hell out of a lot of white racists.) Who am I, white boy leftist, to
>dismiss all that?

I don't dismiss that either, and have recently written as such. And if I was in, say, Indiana or Ohio, I probably would've voted for O as those states are toss ups and tend to determine the election. But here in Michigan, O owns the state, and has since McCain wrote it off. So voting for O here is purely about personal feelings and symbolism. Among African-Americans, that's most understandable, to the degree that a white American can understand such things. Among white lib yuppies here in Ann Arbor (and I know and am around my share of them), it's about "proving" one's anti-racism. Some of these dopes are pretty insufferable on this front. Let's see how they react when O starts doing a little bombing of his own.

Dennis