[lbo-talk] obama's end run around the democratic party?

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Nov 4 19:32:31 PST 2008

At 10:02 PM 11/4/2008, Bob Morris wrote:

> > I was listening to the talking heads on MSNBC and they were going on about
> > how Obama basically ignored the traditional Democratic party structure.
> > Something about how, in doing so, if he wins, he plans to remake or will
> > have the power to remake (not sure which they meant) the Democratic
> party in
> > his image.
> >
> > The evidence was Obama's internet-based fundraising and probably some other
> > blah blah blah.
> >

>Internally, I think until now the Clinton's continued to hold major power in
>the party. That's probably gone now. And I think it was netroots that helped
>Obama so much. Organizing in non-traditional ways using the net, text
>messaging, etc. as organizational tools. But not the net just on its own,
>but using it combined with the Chicago method, to GOTV in a massive way. He
>didn't use the traditional DSCC etc. in the Dem party much so he's not
>really beholden to them or to any of the traditional structure.

oh. the netroots. not. they were opposed to the guy early on and didn't even get on board until feb 2007. netroots signed up after the fact. that I know because i hate the netroots twitshits. slimebags.

i'm thrilled to death about the fact that they have turned out the be the whiney little worthless fuckstains in terms of the awesome power!

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20080505/008044.html and http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20080505/008047.html <quote> Lo and behold, they aren't the largest constituency in the Democratic Party. They aren't even the largest constituency online.

[snip]

The core reason for Jerome's alienation is that the netroots are losing a battle for relevance to a bunch of Obama-supporting, Facebook-addled college kids. When the second quarter closes, it will probably be announced that Obama has raised at least $15 million online, three times what Dean did at this point last cycle, and about twice Edwards' total. Obama has done it with some netroots support, but the not inconsiderable difference between him and Edwards is due to a cult of personality that matters far more than anyone's support on the blogs. </quote>