[lbo-talk] turnout

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Nov 4 21:19:24 PST 2008

In New York at least, this turnout tsunami is causing changes we never even thought about. We all thought it wouldn't change anything if we voted since we were never in question. We all just made enormous lines because people wanted to be part of it. But now that they've added up the votes it turns out that there were so many Democratic voters that suddenly, without expecting it, the Democrats now control both houses of the state legislature for the first time since the depression. Plus the governorship, so they've got all three. And if I heard the TV right, the entire state congressional delegation is now Democratic -- there isn't a single Republican, not upstate, not in Staten Island, not in Buffalo, nowhere.

Lord only knows what's going on elsewhere.

Michael