[lbo-talk] Race: it's a process, not a product (was: celebration)

joseph noonan joseph at noonan.ws
Wed Nov 5 10:55:07 PST 2008

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008, shag wrote:

> Others, variations on the idea that this finally put behind us slavery, Jim
> Crow. Over and over again, references to slavery, Jim Crow, white flight back
> in some distant past. Others said that this would show racists what's what.
> Take that, you racist bigots!
>
> It was this giant celebration of a bunch of Stretch Armstrong figures patting
> themselves on the back for how wonderful they were.
>
> Racism happened in the past; not one mention of racist incidents today.
>
> But what is really annoying is that it just reinforced the idea that racism
> is *all* about attitudes and beliefs. That the only thing that matters is
> that you stop thinking bad things about black folks. Never mind getting at
> the underlying structural racism -- the institutionalized racialization that
> is endemic to this system.
>
> Race: it's a process, not a product.

Sure. Of course. Well said and I agree.

But even on their low bar-setting basis, it is still a lie. I listened this morning on an AM radio station to jokes about how the presidential limo was now going to have new rims. If that isn't racist by even the limited definition of personal bigotry, I don't know wtf is.

Rims?!? I have never seen O wearing bling. No do-rag. No forty in a paper bag. Why would he put rims on the limo? Oh, that's right, he's black. Ha ha.

I guess they would have made cracks about grandpa putting curb feelers on it if he'd been elected. Yeah, sure. You bet.

Fuckheads.