[lbo-talk] the right fulminates

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Nov 5 16:17:46 PST 2008

At 04:28 PM 11/5/2008, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>Now, as Dennis P correctly points out, the question is: what
>organizations exist or will exist to channel this energy?
>
>That's the focus now. Is it possible to turn these many dreams into
>even partial reality?

I'm planning on calling the woman who conned me into agreeing to volunteer and ask her about this: as an experiment. I'm going to call and say, "So, what's next? Got any plans for continuing the forward motion."

Because I started asking around about it at work, and I get these amused, quizzical looks. I don't know how much stock to put in that b/c I've gotten those looks before only to find out weeks or months later that the person actually thought I said something significant, but in the meantime, the answer is: zippo. Obama *has* to keep something in place, but this will be for fundraising. Are they smart enough to use it for communication, agit-prop, for getting people to inundate congress with phone calls. I have no idea but my guess is that it isn't smarts; it's fear. I mean, unless you're truly interested in changing the world, why would you bother trying to actually manage that mass of writhing humanity clinging to your every email communication?

Did anyone besides me think Obama looked like he was saying to himself, "Oh shit, what did I just get myself into" when he walked out on stage?

I mean, yeah, I'm pleased he won and won big but I'm annoyed as all get out at the utter apathy I see around me when it comes to actually doing anything. Not to mention the apolitical tendency to eschew anything that seems partisan. I think it is the "good negro" syndrome though. Good negroes aren't political, aren't firey, aren't passionate. We are cool and distant and don't get involved in all that stuff. We are *middle class*.

I dunno, but that's the vibe I get. And I think it's a different generation, too. I guess that's what they are calling post-racism? dunno.