[lbo-talk] Ralph: Obama an Uncle Tom?

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 22:17:05 PST 2008

Oh holy Jesus!

Actually, n-word is offensive if said by a white person; around here, riding the bus in the 'hood, n-word is basically a pronoun if said by an African American. It's not a terribly polite pronoun, but it's a pronoun. Example comments: "N-word said .... and Bitch did..."

That absolutely does NOT make it appropriate for Ralph to be using the term Uncle Tom. Could Ralph POSSIBLY have come up with something more offensive? I do not want to think about ... Yet another reason he can be permanent scold and not personally much more.

That said, a campaign to pay for health insurance for citizens before paying bonuses out of bailout funds COULD be sort of on-target. Or single-payer as a counterweight to people privatizing social security and twitching about Medicare solvency could be an interesting exercise--not one I want to take on, but....

DC