[lbo-talk] have to say it

KJ kjinkhoo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 22:34:48 PST 2008

Not so much "we are all Americans" but that the US in one marvellous act -- and given the race history, it was a marvellous act -- recovered a lot of its "soft power", America as an idea, that which has been so attractive to people all over. It lost it these past 8 years, and for a moment, there was hope it would lose it forever. But that's the genius of "the system": when it needed to, it got the one person who, at multiple levels, could recover it. And almost regardless of what he does -- short of starting another war -- it's got that back. Heck, he could even do a "humanitarian" intervention and it wouldn't hurt. A very bitter-sweet moment. The other pair was super toxic, yet they would have cemented the loss of American "soft power" -- not least because who, outside of the Republican al-Qaeda (the base), could seriously countenance Palin as president. But who could wish to pay that price for that gain?

I think the thinking neo-cons all understood this, hence their support for this pair, figuring that the system would keep them in line whatever their own intentions. The victory speech was masterful, pulling on all the right strings, even for a cynical hardened anti-imperialist. For others, it was just masterful. Don't be dismissive of the "America as idea" notion -- it's been well-honed, and it remains a brand with a powerful pull.