[lbo-talk] Obama picks Rahm Emanuel, free trade fanatic & welfare

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 10:38:19 PST 2008

Michael is mistaken in thinking that Marx did not write about the relationship between progress and working class consumption - it is pretty much the subject of Capital, especially the first volume.

Coal miners in early nineteenth century England were often worse off than their granparents who worked on farms, but their grandchildren were very much better off - and this much is largely anticipated in Marx's theory of capital accumulation

They were worse off, because, as Marx explains, early capitalist industrial development only knew how to exploit labour absolutely, by extending the working day, or intensifying labour. (You can only say that they were *often* worse off, because the peasant's life is punctuated by extreme disasters, like famines, population clearances and so on).

As Marx explains in Capital, once organised labour succeeding in imposing limits on the working day, capitalists were spurred on to enlarge their profits not by overworking their employees, but by making their labour more productive. In doing so, they made a greater sum of use values available to the working class (which nontheless embodied less exchange value).

The passages in the Grundrisse about the constant excitation of new wants and consequent cultural enlargement of the workers' existence do indeed suggest that the working class could improve its consumption under capital. The corresponding passages in Capital also explain how the worker can get more, but in doing so become yet more of a slave to capital (beating golden chains for himself, is Marx's metaphor).

Not only is this the ABC of Marxism, but is the obvious lesson of the actual course of capitalist development. You would have to be very unlucky to be worse off than your grandparents, given the enlargement in material goods available. There is nothing airy about material progress - we are communicating electronically thanks to it.