[lbo-talk] Down with progress(Was Re: Obama picks . . . .)(

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 10:30:10 PST 2008

If there is no path and no pattern and we cannot extrapolate on the basis of cautious generalizations from tentative data, we are blind as Arnold says. OK if that's they way you feel about it --this is what Nietzsche called nihilism, the idea, roughly, that here is no meaning or structure or point or anything, that's it's all random -- it also seems op me hat there are at least two possible responses:

1. Why bother? (yours) 2. So what? If nothing matters, why does that matter either?

I huess I am an existentialist because I see no non-question-begging way of moving someone from 1 to 2. Nietzsche tried to do this by deploying a range of rhetorical strategies he called genealogy and other tricks and gimmicks.

However, I won't work for nothing -- sorry Carrol, I like you but if you want our own personal philosopher you'll have to pay going rates, which are about $50K a year, pretty cheap. I will bill hourly as well. Call m a sophist if you like, but I never pretended to be Socrates, and like the Joker in the new Batman I think that if you are good at something you don't do it for free.

Jokes aside, you miss the point. I do no say:

1. Progress is inevitable or 2. Progress is irreversible or 3. Progress is unqualifiedly good or 4. he history of the last 300-400 years has been one of unqualified progress or 5. Things are getting better and better ever day in every way

Counterexamples are easily supplied. I mentioned Auschwitz to Jenny.

I'm nor Pollyanna or Comte. But I insist

1. There has been progress that's been good, quite a lot of it. The widespread eradication of everything on my original list is jut an unqualified good. 2. The rational only way we have of guessing what to do is to make predictions based on our revisable conception of the way he world works and the available data. We might be wrong, but we're no blinder than anyone else about anything. Even Nietzsche thought you could do this he made some prediction, some came true, others didn't.

It's only if you need a crystal ball that will guarantee you answers, preferably happy one, that you think this is a problem.