[lbo-talk] Citing Rising Workload, Public Lawyers Reject Cases

WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 10:41:43 PST 2008

[It will be interesting to see how the states deal with this issue as their budgets shrink. Hopefully it'll lead to the widespread dismissal of charges for petty offenses, and those who are serving time right now will see their sentences cut, but I suspect present trends will continue and worsen. -WD]

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/us/09defender.html

Citing Rising Workload, Public Lawyers Reject Cases By ERIK ECKHOLM Published: November 8, 2008

[...]

"Right now a lot of public defenders are starting to stand up and say, 'No more. We can't ethically handle this many cases,' " said David Carroll, director of research for the National Legal Aid and Defender Association.

The state's argument for the budget cuts is the same as it is for other agencies and programs that have been hit — the sour economy and falling revenues.

The Miami-Dade case, which is being closely watched across the country, was appealed by the state and is now before the Florida Supreme Court. If the judge's decision is upheld, it could force courts here to draw lawyers from a smaller state office and contract with private lawyers, at greater expense. But such lawsuits are just the most overt sign of the burdens that lead harried lawyers in Michigan to talk openly about "McJustice" and in New York to make dark jokes about the plea bargain "assembly line."

"In my opinion, there should be hundreds of such motions or lawsuits," said Norman Lefstein, a professor at the Indiana University School of Law and an expert on criminal justice. [...]