[lbo-talk] New Deal (old gas, new bags edition)

Shane Taylor shane.taylor at verizon.net
Sun Nov 9 12:05:21 PST 2008

> propertarians

Carrol Cox asked:

> What does this word mean?

They are called libertarians, believers in the organization of society by self-regulating markets with well-defined property rights. Adherents of Ayn Rand are a classic example. G.A. Cohen (for one) argued in "Capitalism, Freedom, and the Proletariat" that the term libertarian, as used in American politics, is either incoherent or disingenuous. I agree and think the term should be retired.

If I remember correctly, I first saw propertarian used as an alternative by Murray Bookchin. Bookchin was trying to reclaim libertarian for anti-capitalist anarchists from the likes of Rand.

Shane