[lbo-talk] did anyone actually get involved with the obama campaign?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 17:49:55 PST 2008

I went to Columbus, OH, where I worked as an outside legal observer -- only OH licensed atty's were allowed, nominally, inside thew polls. Unlike the situation with the Kerry campaign, the Columbus Dems (this time) and the national BHO campaign were super organized; I was very impressed. Usual glitches, but overall an awesome machine.

My experience was very dull. I was assigned to a precinct in uber-Republican Hilliard. After helping out a bit with getting an early morning line straightened out and advising the poll workers about the law, I settled down to a largely tedious day with a trickle of voters, explaining to the ones that came in that I was a voting rights attorney not affiliated with the Board of Elections, and they could refer any questions or difficulties they had to me or to the inside guy. I had no encounters with bar codes and didn't know they were an issue.

I voted early in Ill., for BHO, the Dem for State's Attorney, since I care about that, against unqualified judges, and otherwise straight Green.

I spent a lot of the day reading a Scott Turow novel (Laws of our Fathers, not bad, though rather a grim picture of 60's radicalism, there's a Bill Ayers character in the book who comes off very badly). I tried to get reassigned but it was pretty much the same everywhere, and when I finally did get reassigned, I was no more needed at the new place that I was useful at the old. We carried Franklin County my an easy margin.