[lbo-talk] obama's end run around the democratic party?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Nov 9 20:41:28 PST 2008

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> Assuming arguendo this is true, this is different from the union model
>> of a base exactly how? They got more than a few bones?
>
> I wasn't comparing them to the unions, who aren't even whores, since
> they pay and get almost nothing in return. I'm comparing them with the
> hedge funders etc., who pay and get their calls returned.

Well no social movement does well compared to the ruling class. I thought the question was about Obamas internet-based electoral base compared to a more densely organized base, like the christian conservatives have, and whether this new-fangled one will turn out to be somehow inferior to that in getting its contributors' wishes realized.

But neither kind will ever have the clout of big capital. I don't think anyone on this list would ever claim otherwise.

Michael