[lbo-talk] Juan Cole: Emmanuel Rahm deserves some slack on Israel

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Nov 10 10:40:32 PST 2008

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> http://www.juancole.com/2008/11/emanuel-in-2002-details-of-us-and.html
>
> Mr. EMANUEL: Well--well, everybody--I mean, my sequence is the
> Palestinian state doesn't come on the front end. It's something you earn
> through the--through the process, which is exactly what was set up by
> Prime Minister Rabin, Netanyahu and even Shimon Perez. And that fact is
> it is the end goal as they prove themselves. And to date, you know, if
> you had had a state at this point, I don't think there'd be a very good
> situation. Now, Perez...
>
> Yuck.

No argument there. This idea of the infinite "process" is the fundamental negating flaw of the Oslo process. And of course you wouldn't expect anything else from a guy who was instrumental in setting it up. And probably you won't get anything else from any other Obama appointment on the subject.

But Juan's point is that there's a palpable distance between this Oslo idea and the Irgun ideas that are usually attributed to Emmanuel. He's a mainstream Peace Now type, not the second coming of Elliot Abrams.

Michael