[lbo-talk] Best and Brightest?

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Nov 10 14:23:43 PST 2008

Actually, education is his big thing. That's why at my old uni, when a former Navy guy was there, teaching poli sci as I recall, he invited Powell to come speak -- like we'd have any other speaker.

Powell wanted nothing to do with the usual stint. He wanted to teach a course for the day.

One reason why is that the spent a lot of time teaching while in the Army. IIRC, that's how he came to notice: as an exceptionally good teacher.

Not saying that would make him a good sec'y of education, but I can see why he might have named that as a position.