[lbo-talk] Greenberg on race, class, Obama and Reagan Democrats

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Nov 10 23:14:46 PST 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/11/opinion/11greenberg.html

The New York Times

November 11, 2008

Op-Ed Contributor

Goodbye, Reagan Democrats

By STANLEY B. GREENBERG

....Bill Clinton wrote in his autobiography that my "extensive research

on the so-called Reagan Democrats and what it would take to bring them

home" was the reason he hired me as his pollster for his presidential

campaign.

For more than 20 years, the non-college-educated white voters in Macomb

County [in suburban Detroit] have been considered a "national political

barometer," as Ronald Brownstein of National Journal described them

during the Democratic convention in August. After Ronald Reagan won the

county by a 2-to-1 margin in 1984, Mr. Brownstein noted that I

conducted focus groups that "found that these working-class whites

interpreted Democratic calls for economic fairness as code for transfer

payments to African-Americans."

So what do we think when Barack Obama, an African-American Democrat,

wins Macomb County by eight points?

I conducted a survey of 750 Macomb County residents who voted Tuesday,

and their responses put their votes in context. Before the Democratic

convention, barely 40 percent of Macomb County voters were

"comfortable" with the idea of Mr. Obama as president, far below the

number who were comfortable with a nameless Democrat. But on Election

Day, nearly 60 percent said they were "comfortable" with Mr. Obama.

About the same number said Mr. Obama "shares your values" and "has what

it takes to be president."

Given Macomb's history, this story helps illustrate America's evolving

relationship with race.

<end excerpt>

Michael