[lbo-talk] Southern wad, shot

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 11 10:08:03 PST 2008

Aren't these hasty generalizations to draw from a single election? Arguably, this election may be an aberration given the impact of the economic crisis that hit in September....

That said, the current electoral map looks like it did in the 1920s, with one party confined to the solid south and the other dominating the rest of the country. The difference being that the parties have reversed positions. SR

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shane Taylor" <shane.taylor at verizon.net>

> That could spell the end of the so-called Southern strategy, the doctrine
that took shape under President Richard M. Nixon in which national elections were won by co-opting Southern whites on racial issues. And the Southernization of American politics — which reached its apogee in the 1990s when many Congressional leaders and President Bill Clinton were from the South — appears to have ended.

> “I think that’s absolutely over,” said Thomas Schaller, a political
scientist who argued prophetically that the Democrats could win national elections without the South.

> The Republicans, meanwhile, have “become a Southernized party,” said Mr.
Schaller, who teaches at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. “They have completely marginalized themselves to a mostly regional party,” he said, pointing out that nearly half of the current Republican House delegation is now Southern.