[lbo-talk] Southern wad, shot

Shane Taylor shane.taylor at verizon.net
Tue Nov 11 10:23:12 PST 2008

Steven L. Robinson wrote:

> Aren't these hasty generalizations to draw from
> a single election? Arguably, this election may
> be an aberration given the impact of the economic
> crisis that hit in September....

The South of the Southern strategy seems to be narrowing. As shag says:

> I forget which election night analyst it was -- I
> was channel surfing between all the cable news
> programs -- but he said that one of the reasons why
> the south is losing its hold is that it's changing,
> demographically. As tech types and other
> professional-managerial types flowed into places
> like Denver and the I-4 corridor in FL, they've
> brought in a different demographic profile --
> younger, more diverse and more geographically mobile.

I posted the Times piece because it seems to be more data in favor of Thomas Schaller's larger argument (Doug interviewed him a while back). I don't think this guarantees party dominance. I simply think it suggests that a long-running strategy for winning has run out.

But yes, I suspect Floyd Norris is onto something with his suggestion of electoral fallout from the foreclosure crisis, among other crises.

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20081027/017823.html>

Shane