[lbo-talk] Southern wad, shot

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 11 12:53:01 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2008, at 123 PM, Shane Taylor wrote
>
>> I posted the Times piece because it seems to be more data in favor of
>> Thomas Schaller's larger argument (Doug interviewed him a while
>> back). I don't think this guarantees party dominance. I simply think
>> it suggests that a long-running strategy for winning has run out.
>
> Share of white vote for McCain
>
> Alabama 88%
> Mississippi 88%
> Louisiana 84%
> Georgia 76%
> South Carolina 73%
> Texas 73%
> Oklahoma 71%
> Arkansas 68%
>
> North Carolina 64%
> Tennessee 63%
> Kentucky 63%
> Virginia 60%
> West Virginia 57%
> Florida 56%
>
> California 46%
> Connecticut 46%
> Minnesota 46%
> New York 46%
> Vermont 44%
> Massachusetts 42%
> Vermont 31%

Any explanation for why Idaho (65%), Utah (66%), and Wyoming (68%) have much higher rates than Montana (52%), North Dakota (55%), and South Dakota (56%)? Those are the only non-southern states over 60% and demographically they aren't that different from their neighbors.

Freakishly my current residence (MO) is still undecided! 49.4% to 49.3% which I believe makes this state the closest race of any state. Obama is 4,968 votes down on McCain. That's less votes than either Nader, Barr, or Baldwin received. Last I heard we shouldn't expect a winner to be announced here until the end of the month.

John Thornton