[lbo-talk] strange bedfellows

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 13:37:06 PST 2008

Strange bedfellows for sure, but not necessarily surprising:

--To the extent that I still read some healthcare info sources acquired in connection with a previous employer, yearly double-digit increases in healthcare costs are the number one uncertainity that business frets about. Small independent businesses are actually hit harder by this problem just because the size of their purchasing groups is smaller and they spread the most expensive people in their pool over a smaller number of total subscribers.

--AARP rolled over with big Pharma about cost-containment during the prescription drug debate. Prescription drug costs are going up even faster than overall healthcare costs. Evidence is that these costs are overwhelmingly marketing, with less impact on clinical outcomes, even though prescription drugs are often marketed for their ability to reduce other health care costs.

--SEIU is big in the healthcare business. So whatever happens in business directly afftects the amount of money / resources/ jobs to be bagained over. I suppose different scenarios MIGHT also affect the total number of workers available for recruiting.

In other words everyone is looking out for their own food chain. Where concepts like public health, global best practices, ... fit into the game still definitely remains to be seen.

DoreneC Seattle WA