[lbo-talk] Best and Brightest?

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 16:50:04 PST 2008

Hey Chuck

I was 12 when Nixon resigned and I'm not doing so well about the alphabet soup:

OE ? WOP War on Poverty? I think there is interesting history in your narrative but I am having to make up a little too much to get the gist. Details?

Seattle had a spell of putting a general in charge of the schools. Even the folks who picket everything to do with military recruiting were gushing at the beginning. He died of some weird cancer before the honeymoon wore off or there were any noticeable effects except he left his name on one of the "alternative schools."

As for NCLB and the general testing rage:

--If ALL Obama does is get whichever Shrub cronies have their claws deepest into the testing biz off the government teat, that will be a HUGE public service.

--I think the way standardized testing is done is a RACKET and I think that cutting all the interesting programs such as music so there is more time to teach to stupid tests is just idiotic.

--I actually SUPPORT teasonable standards. I am disgusted that the state of WA wanted to have a math standardized testing requirement as part of high school graduation requirements, but rather than invest in what would get us there, the state just keeps pushing back implementation.

--In Seattle between NCLB and other budget problems, all the schools strong on NCLB measures (guess what other geographical points apply) are oversubscribed while the district is trying to close schools that would allow more students to attend school in their neighborhoods.

Wonder if bailout funds could somehow drift in the direction of troubled schools....!

DC Seattle WA --Full disclosure: between NCLB and parenting eccentricites, my nephew gets to attend school all the way across town and gets to reap the benefits of extra programs funded by a really hyper PTSA.