[lbo-talk] Polls

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue Nov 11 17:35:37 PST 2008

I'm too lazy to figure this out myself, but I heard something to the effect that the overall turnout this time was no big deal, just that there were more Dems but fewer Repubs. If the latter were dissatisfied conservatives, that seems to bode ill for the next election. Somebody other than McCain might be able to bring them back. Better if there was multiple, contradictory dissatisfaction up and down the spectrum, moderates appalled at Palin, conservatives revolted by McCain. The latter would signal a fundamental breach not as easily repaired. You really have three parties: theocrats, small-gov libertarians, and moderates. Maybe four if you count neo-cons, though they tend to parasitize whatever is ascendant.