[lbo-talk] India test fires nuclear-capable missile

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 04:24:25 PST 2008

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/india-test-fires-nuclearcapable-missile/77973-3.html

IBN Live

India test fires nuclear-capable missile

CNN-IBN

New Delhi: Scientists carried out the first test-firing from land of the submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) K-15 from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur-on-sea, about 15 kms from Balasore on Wednesday morning.

The two-stage missile, which can carry a payload up to 1 tonne, has a range of 700 km. It has earlier undergone four tests from the underwater platform.

The missile had been test-fired in the past from a pontoon (replica of a submarine) placed inside sea off the Andhra Pradesh coast and once from Orissa coast.

ITR sources said the 10.2 metre long missile, having a solid propellant in two stages, with a range of 700 kms, was test fired from Chandipur Launch complex-III at 1126 hrs.

The authority had issued a cautionary notice asking the mariners to keep away from the area in the Bay of Bengal in view of the test.

-- My humanity is in feeling we are all voices of the same poverty. - Jorge Louis Borges