[lbo-talk] Why Markets Fail

Mark Bennett bennett.mab at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 09:54:56 PST 2008

A little late, I know, but the Internet doesn't really provide a counterexample. The framework for the 'net was created by the Department of Defense. No company, certainly no entrepreneur, would have had the resources to create the 'net, and had they had the resources they would not have invested them in developing the digital infrastructure of a wholly unproven technology. Remember, Gates and Microsoft had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the internet era; as late as 1995, if I recall correctly, Gates was making public pronouncements that no one would give up his Windows desktop to wait 2 minutes for a web-page to load. Even the first revolutionary web browser, MOSAIC, was developed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications, a federal agency. Left to industry and individual entrepreneurs, there would have been no internet revolution. When one points this out to online Libertarian blowhards, they tend to shut up for a minute or two. But only for a minute or two, unfortunately.

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 6:03 PM, michael perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu