[lbo-talk] Uncritical Exuberance?

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Nov 12 16:05:03 PST 2008

Chris Doss wrote:

>I think some people (not Butler specifically) are mad because a
>black guy won. Now they can't say "a black man will never be elected
>president, look how evil the US is" AND they want to poo-poo the
>accomplishment, "so OK maybe a black guy was elected president, but
>so what, it means nothing! We're still evil!"

The only place I've heard anything like this is in your post. Where are you getting this?

^^^ CB: I was thinking the same thing as Dennis.

The sample of Black people I hear from are like Michelle Obama: They've never been so proud of their country before. They are seeing this as a giant step forward against racism.

Nobody is saying racism is all gone

http://www.counterpunch.org/roediger11102008.html

But most are saying this is a historic advance, and we have to give credit to "America".