[lbo-talk] Gay marriage

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Wed Nov 12 18:26:33 PST 2008

At 8:11 PM -0500 12/11/08, Doug Henwood wrote:

>Me, I like being married, and wish the people that can't marry now,
>could. Sure, there are a lot of legal rights that should be
>separated from marital status. But, sentimentalist that I am, it's
>not all about legal rights - it's a social ritual, a public
>profession of serious attachment. Not to everyone's liking, I know.

Don't be defensive, I don't think any less of you for it. Each to their own, I'm a tolerant bloke. ;-)

But is that what its really about? Rather than the legal rights?

I've been in a de-facto relationship for over 30 years and the lack of legal rights isn't something I've really noticed. Of course lacking any property to speak of, i suppose those issues of property rights might be an issue I'm just insulated from.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas