[lbo-talk] Gay marriage

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 13 06:54:04 PST 2008

> I never thought of this before but there's also the idea here
that you can be taught to be gay.

But it is not easy. The Streisand seminars and Garland colloquys are tough enough, but two semesters of Sondheim can do in even the strongest candidates. The weekly elimination sessions are brutal -- many of our failed aspirants end up in the Catholic Church trying to rebuild their lives.

I was surprised at how wonderful getting married was. TJ and I decided to do it, but I was unprepared for the transforming nature of the event. For me, what was intended as a symbolic gesture turned out to be replete with the significance that I heard other people talk about, but that I had pooh-poohed as happy talk. I did feel a difference between having a domestic partnership with my husband that included a joint bank account, medical powers of attorney, etc. and being able to simply say: "This is my husband," having gone through a public ceremony in front of family and friends and having a legal document as a result.

Also, marriage is portable while civil unions are not.

Brian