[lbo-talk] Gay marriage

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 10:56:14 PST 2008

"It is a simple matter of solidarity, with nothing to debate: Gays want marriage; therefore radicals support marriage for gays. Leftists who quibble are scabbing on their companions."

Well, I would not want to scab, and as long as the issue is posed as gay marriage for and against, then I am for, but maybe the long-term answer is that heterosexual marriage should be de-legalised. There is something wierd about the government having a role in your private domestic arrangements. And there is something wierd about making heterosexual marriage the ideal model for gay people.

Why should married people have any advantage in law over single people, or cohabiting couples?