[lbo-talk] Gay marriage

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 13 15:19:38 PST 2008

James Heartfield wrote:
> "It is a simple matter of solidarity, with nothing to debate: Gays want
> marriage; therefore radicals support marriage for gays. Leftists who
> quibble are scabbing on their companions." Carrol Cox
>
> Well, I would not want to scab, and as long as the issue is posed as gay marriage for and against, then I am for, but maybe the long-term answer is that heterosexual marriage should be de-legalised. There is something wierd about the government having a role in your private domestic arrangements. And there is something wierd about making heterosexual marriage the ideal model for gay people.
>
> Why should married people have any advantage in law over single people, or cohabiting couples?

We already have a simple legal form in marriage. Why change something that works? You could, at great expense, hire an attorney and legally contract most of the rights marriage confers but why? Even if you could contract all the rights what advantage would that have over marriage? As I wrote before a marriage license should be looked at like a drivers license or business license. You fill out the proper forms sign them and get the license. It makes no sense to eliminate something that works just fine and replace it with something more unwieldy.

Carrol is correct. Marriage exists and gay people want to exercise this option. We should support this demand. Offering something "just as good" but different is insulting. Denying any group of citizens the right to a standardized method of joint ownership and rights is complete crap.

What advantage are you referring to when you ask "why should married people have an advantage in law over single people..."? When I got married the only advantage I saw immediately was that it increased my federal taxes.

John Thornton