[lbo-talk] "FemDomDem" and "ObamaGirlSeeksPissSlave" Aren't Going to Get Those Ambassadorships

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 22:07:04 PST 2008

What if Floozy_of_all_the_internet or My_avatar_has_a_much_wilder_life_than_I_do do not even remember all the handles he or she has ever used?

Once upon a time I took a seminar with someone who was formerly a top interpreter at the State Department. He was talking one day about the quite minimal clearance process to be a State Department escort interpreter. I asked some question I do not remember about what happens if that turns up anything. He said, "Well, there would be that small matter of the whorehouse you run in San Francisco?" I said "I beg your pardon, it's not in San Francisco; it's in Santa Monica." The class roared.

These days I am kind of sensitive and even blunt about automated job applications that automatically screen out applicants for reasons not related to the essential job functions listed in the job description. I suppose I would not necessarily expect anything less than a "let us Google your entire internet presence" request from someone who voted the way O did on FISA. It seems possible that asking is intended to deter anyone with anything controversial from even applying. However, I remember a few years ago when someone else in the Stranger wrote about one of the members of the UN weapons verification teams involved in checking for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. This guy was a VERY well-known figure in the BDSM community; both his employer and the BDSM community knew well of each other and it seemed not to cause problems on either side. So I wonder what kind of interesting applicants this request would screen out.

DC