[lbo-talk] Sour Left Announces New Web Site, Theme Park Venture

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 11:28:03 PST 2008

Sour Left Announces New Web Site, Theme Park Venture

By MORTEIN DISMALDREAMING, AP Politics Writer – 1 hr 33 mins ago

WASHINGTON - Amidst the jubilation which erupted in Democrat and general left circles following Barack Obama's victory last week, one group has remained oddly negative: the Sour Left.

Named "the Sour Left" by noted Detroit political genre labeler and Marxist quote enthusiast Charles Brown, this loose knit group of stubborn holdouts has created controversy on the left because of its Wednesday Adams-esque reaction to what was arguably the most important event since the sun ignited.

"I know I should be happy" Sour Leftarian Dwayne Monroe said, interviewed via phone from his suburban Philadelphia home "but I just can't get let go of my sourness. Or perhaps it's 'Reverse Schadenfreude' or maybe it's that I'm a whining sectarian of the ultra-left. Whatever insulting label you choose: I'm not excited."

Weary of posting to combative listservs and sitting in ever fewer Starbucks outlets to commiserate with fellow Sours, Monroe has started a new website: kissmysourleftass.org.

"The goal is to give Sours an outlet for our preemptive disappointment. We know that President Elect Obama is a centrist Dem who will, for example, launch cruise missiles into Waziristan with as much enthusiasm as his hated predecessor. This time however, progressives will be providing cover. We need our own space to get our sour on in a FaceBookish kind of way."

Monroe's ambitions aren't limited to Web 2.0 ventures. He also envisions a theme park for Sours.

"Imagine a ride similar to Disney's venerable 'Small World' attraction. Only, instead of little robot Dutch, Italian and Nigerian children singing about the unity we've never achieved, it'll be a tour of Obama's sure descent from liberal savior to Just Another POTUS. Another attraction would be the Plus ca change Fun House: no matter what image is actually placed before any of the digitally enhanced mirrors, the viewer sees perfection."

When asked if he'd been able to receive funding for the theme park venture Monroe gloomily replied "Iceland's broke; you think I can get a loan?"

Sour indeed.