[lbo-talk] Why Blacks opposed Prop 8 -- and a simple way

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 12:44:23 PST 2008

Actually, I think several of us have said in different ways that class may be as important as race in analyzing who voted for Prop 8. Doug said it with polling data. That was part of the thrust of my point about gay marriage displacing borader healthcare reform after Democratic victories. It makes sense to me that people who feel economically vulnerable are likely to cling firmly to things such as marriage that buffer them from uncertainty, It's still the job of the pro-marriage forces to make the case of what's in the deal for working class voters--either that or just keep chaing polygamy in the same sentence with Mormons and see waht that does for the pro-prop 8 funding stream.

I would not know whether working class African Americans are more or less likely than working class people of other hues to have recent rural connections, but I do not think that is particulary a guess one even needs to make for this argument.

DC