[lbo-talk] Why Blacks opposed Prop 8 -- and a simple way

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Nov 15 10:50:43 PST 2008

Doreen writes:

"Boykin is also pretty restrained about racism among white gays, who are as varied as the overal white community. I think the comments posted about gay marriage ads that show only white couples is quite telling in its own way. Why would gays in Blakc churches come out if they are going to face scorn both from their church and from other gays who do not have the same feelings about the church?"

A (white, gay-friendly) friend noted that the comparison of mixed-race marriage to gay marriage might not have been so appealing to black voters who would have to strain mighty hard to discover how the gay movement supported black civil rights and who would also resent gay marriage being justified by the sufferings of black people. I can see their point.

I myself did not view any pro 8 or anti 8 propaganda, but of everybody I know who did, the feeling is unanimous that the pro-gay marriage stuff was very, very badly done.

Joanna