[lbo-talk] Zizek on Obama

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 09:28:49 PST 2008

To me it sounds as if Zizek is a bit touched but then I have always found him a hi falutin windbag. Get this:

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/4039/why_cynics_are_wrong/

The position of the cynic is that he alone holds some piece of terrible, unvarnished wisdom. The paradigmatic cynic tells you privately, in a confidential low-key voice: “But don’t you get it that it is all really about (money/power/sex), that all high principles and values are just empty phrases which count for nothing?” What the cynics don’t see is their own naivety, the naivety of their cynical wisdom that ignores the power of illusions.

Why is the cynic a "he" and why need a critic of Obama be a cynic at all. I guess I am a naive Marxist who thinks that principles and values are dialectically related to the mode of production. Obama is capitalist through and through and it is Zizek who ignores the power of illusions. Obamas support among otherwise intelligent leftists is good evidence of this. THere is nothing cynical about all this in my opinion. It is fact and the basis for any realistic assessment of the situation.

cheers k hanly

Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html