[lbo-talk] Bosses panic: 'How to keep your workplace union free'

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sun Nov 16 13:32:50 PST 2008

On Sat, November 15, 2008 10:30 pm, B. forwarded:

> http://www.financialweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081116/REG/3111
> 79995/1023/OTHERVIEWS
> By James Redeker
>
> An effective union-free strategy must have at least five components:
> employee policies and systems that match up well against the best and
> most attractive things a union may offer

Ah, the union-busters, truly among the lowest forms of life on our under-evolved planet. US workers have seen their union rights gutted for 35 years and their union density fall like a rock. Result: average real wages lower than their peak in 1973 despite vastly higher productivity, record levels of debt and social distress, record levels of bankruptcy, employer cutbacks on health insurance and pensions, and a massive long-term decline of the US economy vis-a-vis the EU and East Asia.

And what did Wall Street do with all the money they squeezed out of non-unionized workers? Invest responsibly? Nope, Wall Street bought a bunch of yachts while spawning one toxic financial bubble after another, until their greed and folly crashed the entire economy.

-- DRR