[lbo-talk] Zizek on Obama

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Nov 16 15:31:03 PST 2008

On Nov 16, 2008, at 5:57 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> "Faith" is not really the correct word here, but I'll accept it for
> present purposes. It is _precisely_ this "faith in unforeseen
> happenings" for which Doug has endlessly attacked and mocked me for 10
> years

No. What I've attacked is your consistent fatalism that there's nothing that any of "us" can do now, because we have to wait for circumstances to ripen - and ripen not like the pears I put in a brown paper bag yesterday, knowing that they'll probably be ripe tomorrow, but someday in the fullness of time, which might be after we're all dead. If I had to live with that passivity and fatalism, I'd give up on politics even more completely than I have.

Doug