[lbo-talk] vision complaints

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sun Nov 16 15:59:38 PST 2008

Just a note for list members who have complained about their vision problems. On list and off. Try installing and using speech software.

I have no idea whether such software works better or is more convienent to use. The only time I set-up a computer with speech software was back in the Fred Flintstone era of the early 90s. It was awkward and difficult.

The essential problem back then was that speech is a linear or serial format and GUIs are random access. The friend I was working for was completely blind and therefore had very few ways to know where the stupid cursor was. He had to make extensive use of keyboard commands to move the cursor from window to window and within each window.

So if you have low vision and make the cursor big, you can avoid those problems.

It would be interesting to hear the yays and nays about this suggestion.

CG