[lbo-talk] Why Blacks opposed Prop 8 -- and a simple way

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 07:39:49 PST 2008

Chris wrote to Dennis Claxton (PS. I think you just don't want to admit that black people are, as a general rule, more culturally conservative than white people. :)

I recommend shag's post from several days ago:

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20081110/019173.html>

She presents several works which investigate the origins, styles and current forms of African American social conservatism. As usual, this quite solid information had little impact upon the debate which merrily rolled along without it (ideally, we'd all go silent on this topic, do a bit of reading, then return to the argument better equipped to do more than circle the same bleached, memetic bones).

I don't think dueling anecdotes, clashing assumptions and appeals to black listmembers to explain things are helpful.

.d.