[lbo-talk] Prop 8, James Baldwin

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 13:13:08 PST 2008

C. Grimes:

<snip>

The gay rights movement has been very effective in distancing the whole issue from association with seedy gay bars, art weirdos and completely irregular lifestyles---it's un-Americanhood. But then we watch the annual Gay Pride Day parade and get reminded. Oh, yes, that's what's going on. It's a damned art party of weirdos. Ugh.

As I recall this, or something very much like it, is what activist Larry Kramer has claimed for some time.

Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia article about Kramer:

The Tragedy of Today's Gays

Tragedy was a speech and a call to arms that Kramer delivered five days after the 2004 re-election of George W. Bush that he turned into a book. Kramer found it inconceivable that Bush was reelected on the backs of gay people when there were so many more pressing issues:

Almost 60 million people whom we live and work with every day think we are immoral. "Moral values" was top of many lists of why people supported George Bush. Not Iraq. Not the economy. Not terrorism. "Moral values." In case you need a translation that means us. It is hard to stand up to so much hate.

The speech's effects were far-reaching, and had most corners of the gay world once again discussing Kramer's moral vision of drive and self-worth for the community he loves but continues to disappoint him. Legendary drag artist Lady Bunny wrote: "You are just too fucked by this election, and you're just too fucked UP with crystal, barebacking and apathy to confront your attackers, the conservative right.... That baton's been passed now, kids. You gonna drop it? Or come out swinging? Or go to the gym and cruise the steam room? Or shop for your next circuit party outfit? Or do another bump, girl?"

Kramer, again, had his detractors from the community. Writing on Salon.com, Richard Kim felt that once again Kramer personified the very object of his criticism: homophobia.

He recycles the kind of harangues about gay men (and young gay men in particular) that institutions like the Times so love to print -- that they are buffoonish, disengaged Peter Pans dancing, drugging and fucking their lives away while the world and the disco burn down around them.

[...]

full at --

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Kramer>

Needless to say, there's more than a bit of the hand grenade in Kramer's position. To me, it sounds like the gay version of Cosby's statements about the "black underclass" ('if only you subterraneans cleaned up your act we'd all move forward!').

.d.