[lbo-talk] Non- US Companies dominate emerging 'green jobs'

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Tue Nov 18 08:43:15 PST 2008

On Mon, November 17, 2008 10:32 pm, Steven L. Robinson forwarded:

> Memo to President-elect Obama - Foreign Firms Control How Many 'Green'
> Jobs You Can Create
> Energytechstocks.com
> November 17, 2008
>
> We further suggest - strongly - that you don't let either still
> privately-held A123 Systems or publicly-traded Ener1 Inc. fall into
> foreign hands, because together they appear to be America's first and last
> line of defense against the Japanese in the all-important battle to
> develop lithium-ion batteries for PHEVs.

Ah, the madness of Empire. The rhetoric of "foreign hands", one of the oldest xenophobic tropes of them all; a "first and last line of defense" from those Evil Others who are, um, mostly welfare state democracies; specters of an "all-important battle" against lurid techno-Orientalist fantasies of "the Chinese" and "the Japanese" -- all nonsense.

We are one planet and one multipolar economy. If the US is serious about creating green jobs, then it should redirect the $1 trillion it spends on criminal imperial wars every single year to saner ends. It can start by adopting Germany's green tariff laws - subsidizing renewable energy and taxing carbon.

-- DRR