[lbo-talk] the real payoff of Obama's victory

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 10:20:57 PST 2008

Doug posted:

First lady got back

I'm a black woman who never thought I'd see a powerful, beautiful female with a body like mine in the White House. Then I saw Michelle Obama -- and her booty!

By Erin Aubry Kaplan

[...]

full at --

<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/11/18/michelles_booty/index.html>

Talking about nice asses is fun; but not everyone's smiling!

Like a pyroclastic flow made from um, words, super heated comments are moving at high speed over at Salon.com:

<http://letters.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/11/18/michelles_booty/view/?show=all>

One angry poster writes:

>From "That's right. I'm going to talk about the first lady's butt" to
"miscegenation" just a few paragraphs down. This is demeaning, vacuous tripe that doesn't even work as satire. The size and shape of Michelle Obama's butt is not a topic from which any of us can hope to derive enlightenment, nor will it dispel any stereotypes. Is Salon really this desperate for material? If so, I have a drawerful of musings on Christopher Hitchens's nipples, David Sedaris's calves and Greta van Susteren's nose you might want to look at.

[...]

When Hitchens' nipples enter the conversation, you know things have gotten out of hand.

.d.