[lbo-talk] Prop 8, James Baldwin

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 13:04:19 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote:
>> CB: I can't think of anybody. Who do you think ?
>
> No one -- though recall that Wallace was pro-union and received a hefty
> share of the black vote, for what that's worth. And of course he mellowed
> over time. Was that due to his near-assassination? Did Arthur Bremer
> accelerate his understanding?
>
> Dennis

But wasn't Wallace also responsible for getting companies to move to the Sun Belt states, striking tax abatement guarantees and working out "right to work" laws there?

cf: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wallace#Economics_and_education

"The principal achievement of Gov. Wallace's first term was an innovation in Alabama development several other states later adopted: he was the first Southern governor to travel to corporate headquarters in Northern and Northeastern states to offer tax abatements and other incentives to companies willing to locate plants in modern tire plant in Opelika, Alabama."

maybe the right to work stuff is separate and only seems of a piece in retrospect. s