[lbo-talk] Why Blacks opposed Prop 8 -- and a simple way

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 13:28:04 PST 2008

Joanna wrote:

The problem with this in explaining the opposition of blacks to gay marriage is that current white middle class norms of sexuality do not oppose gay marriage. So, I see a contradiction here. At any rate, it seems that Chris's hypothesis is more consistent with the facts.

There's no contradiction.

Shag's point -- or, more accurately the point of the works she cited -- was that *historically* there was a trend towards social conservatism as a (vain) effort to gain legitimacy through flawlessly 'normal', i.e., 'respectable' behavior. This tragic theory of ending racism through super normality is a non-trivial part of Booker T. Washington-ism (I suggest investigating the conflict between Du Bois and Washington to get a sense of the argument's contours, if you're unfamiliar).

Dennis Claxton, replying to Joanna asked:

What facts?

Precisely.

And to repeat myself, wouldn't it be nice if we read at least a little of the stuff shag mentioned (or something, besides the dusty meme headlines in our heads) and *then* commented? Instead that is, of using our 'common sense' and our love of 'I know this conservative black lady down the way' style anecdotes to hand wavingly explain a big, complex thing.

.d.