[lbo-talk] Private vs public

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Nov 19 10:07:02 PST 2008

> With UPS, you are paying for the chain of custody records and
> real-time updates available to you about the package's journey.
> Comparing that to the USPS, which does not offer similar services,
> seems a little silly.

Not only that, but UPS will get it there ASAP: they have a fleet of aircraft that ply the international routes every day[*]. The real issue here is that the product that UPS sells is not the product Joanna wants or needs. The premium is not a private/public thing, but rather an entry-level/luxury distinction -- you wouldn't say the same about the difference in cost between a Saturn and a BMW, right?

[*] I was amazed to track a friend's laptop recently on its journey from Lenovo/Hong Kong to Inchon to Anchorage to Ontario to Sacramento to their house in about 38 hours; on the other hand I gave PostItalia a box of dirty laundry recently to send home so that I could have more room in my luggage for souveniers; it took two weeks to arrive.

/jordan