[lbo-talk] Can the auto industry borrow AIG's lobbyist?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 19 13:43:09 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:
> It occurred to me, reading Mitt Romney's op ed in the Times this
> morning (appended below), that this crisis is likely to be "solved" by
> essentially breaking the UAW. The union may continue to exist in name,
> but they'll suffer sharp rollbacks in wages and benefits, and the
> retirees will get screwed. It will be truly amazing if this happens
> under a Democratic president and a strongly Democratic Congress, but
> maybe that's the only configuration of power under which it could happen.
>
> Doug
>
> ----
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html>
>
> Let Detroit Go Bankrupt
> By MITT ROMNEY
> Published: November 18, 2008
> Boston
>
> I love cars, American cars. I was born in Detroit, the son of an auto
> chief executive. In 1954, my dad, George Romney, was tapped to run
> American Motors when its president suddenly died. The company itself
> was on life support — banks were threatening to deal it a death blow.
> The stock collapsed. I watched Dad work to turn the company around —
> and years later at business school, they were still talking about it.
> From the lessons of that turnaround, and from my own experiences, I
> have several prescriptions for Detroit’s automakers.
>
> Mitt Romney, the former governor of Massachusetts, was a candidate for
> this year’s Republican presidential nomination.

Not that this is terribly germane but I really hate to see this Romney "saved" American Motors crap. George Romney's strategy at American Motors was short sighted and eventually ruined the company. All he did was postpone America Motors death when he might have actually saved the company if he hadn't rejected another proposed strategy. He rejected that strategy only because it would have reduced his power and influence.

John Thornton