[lbo-talk] race and gay marriage

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Nov 19 15:11:37 PST 2008

At 04:29 PM 11/19/2008, John Thornton wrote:
>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>>See the latest ABC News Blog at:
>>http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenumbers/2008/11/the-gay-marriag.html
>

>Do education attainment and income changes among Blacks from 2000 to today
>explain part of this?
>
>John Thornton

>Do education attainment and income changes among Blacks from 2000 to today
>explain part of this?
>
>John Thornton

i posted this already but way at the bottom of the post:

http://www.nbjcoalition.org/news/marriage_report.pdf

it won't answer your question about these two elections and voting on the marriage proposition, but it can tell you something about an overview of opinion polls and surveys taken over nearly two decades.

Ta-Nehisi Coates asked if anyone could take a look at data in terms of what variables are predictive. While the author, Razib, notes that a rough and ready analysis has problems, Razib's conclusion is that, in terms of NORC General Social Survey data:

<quote> Just by inspection here one might assume that controlling for variables can't explain away the whole race difference. Smart, educated and very liberal blacks are less tolerant of homosexuals than similar whites. In fact, among downscale sectors there isn't much of a difference between whites and blacks, the difference shows up among the upscale. There isn't that much of a difference between fundamentalist blacks and whites. There is a big difference between blacks and whites who consider themselves religious liberals; the former are far less homophobic than black fundamentalists, but note that they're about as gay friendly as white religious moderates.

All that being said, I play around with a multiple regression model by treating some of these categorical but ordinal variables as existing along a numerical interval. That is, HOMOSEX was a dependent variable on a 1-4 interval. The religious variables and age were powerful predictors of the variation in attitudes toward homosexuality, but race not so much (not even statistically significant). I wanted to post the charts above because I don't necessarily trust these sorts of slap-dash regressions, but my quick & dirty checks imply that race is a less powerful predictor than religion and age. </quote>

http://scienceblogs.com/gnxp/2008/10/are_blacks_exceptionally_homop.php

shag --

"let's be civil and nice, but not to the point of obeying the rules of debate as defined by liberal blackmail (in which, discomfort caused by a challenge is seen as some vague form of harassment)."

-- Dwayne Monroe, 11/19/08

-- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws