[lbo-talk] Randian Personal Ads

WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 17:20:41 PST 2008

[via Brian Leiter's blog -WD]

http://nymag.com/news/features/artifact/51814/

Artifact: Free-Market Meat Market

Two weeks ago, Ayn Rand aficionado Alan Greenspan admitted to a House subcommittee that his libertarian economic worldview had been shaken by events on Wall Street; last week, Governor Paterson approvingly cited Rand's advocacy of stout individualism, which he says citizens of New York State will need during the budget crisis. Meanwhile, on TheAtlasphere.com, a dating site, Rand fans are just looking for love; below, excerpts from user profiles.

waitingfordagny, Chicago, Illinois I want to meet a serious woman who both challenges me intellectually and inspires me to noble things by her beauty.

Michael, Naples, Florida Long ago a very dear friend, Angie, turned me on to Ayn Rand and Atlas Shrugged.

Parenthetically, she also turned me on in other ways. Alas, our relationship remained Platonic.

Contact Me If You … : are Angie.

dpvabc, Edmonton, Canada My name is Daniel. I consider myself to be a born-again egoist and I have dedicated the rest of my life to self-improvement. People see me as a socially inept loner because I tend to avoid superficial conversation but actually I love talking to people who like to think (the problem being I don't know very many).

mxjohnxm, Greenville, South Carolina "One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."

mattqatsi, East Dundee, Illinois If I Could "Do Lunch" With Anyone: Ronald Reagan and Newt Gingrich … Do I really have to explain?

thustotyrants, Selden, New York [I am] short, stark, and mansome.

You should contact me if you are a skinny woman. If your words are a meaningful progression of concepts rather than a series of vocalizations induced by your spinal cord for the purpose of complementing my tone of voice. If you've seen the meatbot, the walking automaton, the pod-people, the dense, glazy-eyed substrate through which living organisms such as myself must escape to reach air and sunlight. If you've realized that if speech is to be regarded as a cognitive function, technically they aren't speaking, and you don't have to listen.

Zak, Long Island, New York I am rational, integrated, and efficacious. So far, I've never met a person who lives up to the standard I hold for myself (except online).

I take my relationships seriously. I am simply not attracted to many of the women in this world. I do not "hook-up" with girls. I only kiss those who deserve, and so far I have only encountered one who did. I would love to find someone I can learn something from; someone who challenges me to think; someone I can feel like I've won, rather than lowered myself to.

lostpainting, Hagerstown, Maryland Please note: If you're overweight, I won't date you. If you believe in God, I won't date you. If you vote for Democrats, I won't date you.

Chinoy, Manila, Philippines My individualism takes precedence at all costs, if not at all times.

Contact Me If You … : do not conform to the dictates and whims of any of the world's religions, simply because your soul's independence is paramount.

Lewis, London, U.K. I love intelligent, sassy girls, particularly those working in consulting or investment banking (but other fields are great too). Really, nothing is hotter than an accomplished girl in a suit, as long as she is willing to settle down and have my children. I want a girl who will support my ambitions against the naysayers in society.

Rob, Stanford, California Ayn Rand ignited the fire within me that was searching for the right spark. My every action is guided according to my philosophy, and my philosophy is the philosophy of Ayn Rand.

I am interested in meeting someone that truly embodies the values and virtues of Objectivism. I have found very few women that have not already been beaten down to a flimsy, irrational, empty pulp. I have changed many girls' lives, but no one has blown me away yet.

I never "hook-up" randomly, I never kiss a girl that doesn't deserve mine. I have yet to find a girl deserving of my falling in love with her. But "other people" are secondary values no matter what, so finding someone is not a priority for me.